School District / Company: Columbus City Schools
Street Address : 270 East State Street
City : Columbus
State : Ohio
Zip Code : 43215
Position Title: Director, Gifted and Talented
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Administrator
MM : 8
DD : 17
YYYY : 2020
Duties: ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Supervises the day-to-day activities of assigned staff. Duties include hiring, training,
counseling, and evaluating staff performance.
• Leads interviewing teams responsible for interviewing and evaluation of teachers for the Gifted
and Talented Program and making hiring recommendations.
• Provides direction and oversight in the successful development and delivery of programs,
services and resources for gifted students.
• Supervises the delivery of instruction to gifted students ensuring learning experiences
consistent with the mission statement and instructional goals of the program and district.
• Develop programmatic frameworks to shape the overall delivery of gifted services to students.
• Works cooperatively with classroom teachers and building administrators to coordinate program
and service delivery and ensure all students receive appropriate educational and support services.
• Provides assistance and consultation to classroom teachers in developing differentiated lessons
for gifted students and individual student acceleration plans.
• Oversees the testing, identification and placement of students within gifted and talented
• Conducts annual service information parent meetings.
• Collaborates with the PACE parent group to support parents of gifted students.
• Works cooperatively with the College Board to coordinate the delivery of Advanced Placement
(AP) classes in the district’s high schools.
• Ensures departmental staff maintains required credentials and facilitates on-going development
opportunities that align with district strategies and objectives.
• Plans and conducts staff training and inservice programs regarding implementation of district
initiatives, trends for students with diverse learning needs, best practices, and compliance
• Coordinates summer training for the district’s Advanced Placement teachers.
• Oversees the organizations of district-wide enrichment events for students.
• Assists in the identification of available federal and state grants, submission of grant
applications, development of programs and alignment of resources, and compliance with recordkeeping
and reporting requirements.
• Assists in the development and modification of departmental policies and procedures; revises
departmental work systems and procedures as necessary to comply with federal and state regulations
and district requirements.
• Administers assigned budget(s); ensures expenditures are within the approved budget(s).
• Maintains programs records and files.
• Prepares required documentation and reports.
• Maintains current knowledge of best practices, trends, and new developments in instruction of
• Maintains current knowledge of state regulations and accountability measures and anticipates
and reports on the impact to the district.
• Recommends and implements changes to operations as necessary.
• Develops and maintains appropriate communication and relationships with all departments, and
officials of appropriate agencies.
• Develops community partnerships to foster innovative programming and efficient use of
• Resolves problems, situations or issues in a collaborative, tactful, courteous and respectful
• Supervises the evaluation and identification of students as gifted and talented according to
state requirements. Notifies parents of gifted identification in a timely manner.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience Required: • Master’s degree in Education or a related field.
• Five (5) or more years of related teaching and administrative experience including supervisory responsibilities.
• Valid Ohio Department of Education Supervisor or Administrator certificate or equivalent.
• Gifted and Talented K-12 certification or endorsement.
• Demonstrated knowledge of accrediting and regulatory standards and district policies related to assigned functions.
• Skills necessary to guide, train and review the work of assigned staff.
• Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively and work productively with all levels of district staff, students, parents and the general public.
• Demonstrated ability to have effective verbal and written communication skills and be able to handle problem situations in a tactful, courteous and respectful manner.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective presentation skills.
• Written and computer skills necessary to maintain various departmental records, documents and reports.
• Analytical ability to develop plans of action to address a variety of issues and concerns in a timely manner.
• Mathematical aptitude necessary to administer assigned budget(s) and monitor expenditures
Wage or Salary:
Approximate Work Hours or Days: 40
How to Apply: Go to: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/ccsoh/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=2795751&sharedWindow=0
Posting End Date:
MM : 11
DD : 30
YYYY : 2020