Job Opportunities > Elementary School Principal – Marion City Schools
Elementary School Principal – Marion City Schools
Has responsibility for the effective operation of the school. Serves as the instructional leader for the building. Expected to create a shared vision and clear goals for their school and maintain a positive climate; employ effective decision-making skills; implement new and challenging initiatives that contribute to high levels of student learning and achievement; develop the effectiveness of faculty and engage in varied two-way communication with students, staff, parents and community.
Expected to lead and support district created mission, vision, and goals including but not limited to academic and behavior.
Elements of Each Standard – Ohio Standards for Principals:
- Continuous Improvement: Principals help create a shared vision and goals for their schools and ensure continuous progress toward achieving the goals.
- Facilitate the articulate and realization of a shared vision of continuous improvement
- Assist with the process of setting, monitoring and achieving specific and challenging goals that reflect high expectations for all students and staff.
- Assist with the change process for continuous improvement.
- Anticipate, monitor and respond to educational developments that affect school issues and the environment.
- Instruction: Principals support the implementation of high quality standards-based instruction that results in high levels of achievement for all students.
- Ensure that the instructional content that is taught is aligned with the Ohio Learning Standards and curriculum priorities in the school and district.
- Ensure instructional practices are effective and meet the needs of all students.
- Advocate for high levels of learning for all students, identified as gifted, students with disabilities and at-risk students.
- Know, understand and share relevant research.
- Understand, encourage and facilitate the effective use of data by staff.
- Support staff in planning and implementing research-based professional development.
- Guide, monitor and evaluate the performance of all school personnel to ensure high levels of effective practice.
- Resources and School Operations: Principals allocate resources and manage school operations in order to ensure a safe and productive learning environment.
- Establish and maintain a safe school environment
- Create a nurturing learning environment that addresses the physical and mental health needs of all.
- Allocate resources, including technology, to support student and staff learning.
- Institute procedures and practices to support staff and students and establish an environment that is conducive to learning.
- Understand, uphold and model professional ethics, policies, and legal codes of professional conduct.
- Assist in selection, placement, and performance of staff including making contract recommendations when appropriate.
- Collaboration: Principals establish and sustain collaborative learning and shared leadership to promote learning and achievement of all students.
- Promote a collaborative learning environment.
- Share leadership with staff, students, parents and community members.
- Develop and sustain leadership.
- Parents and Community Engagement:
- Use community resources to improvement student learning.
- Involve parents and community members in improving student learning.
- Connect to school and community.
- Establish for the use of culturally responsive practices that acknowledge and value diversity.
- Implement effective practices to communicate and collaborate with staff, families and community to foster positive partnerships that contribute to student learning.
Professional and Personal Development:
- Ensure the safety of students.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Exhibit professional behavior, emotional stability and sound judgement.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships.
- Interacts in a positive manner with staff, students and parents.
- Maintain appropriate licenses/endorsements and training hours as required.
- Adhere to all standards established by the Ohio Department of Education for Licensed Educators.
- Maintain good attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Refer suspected cases of child abuse immediately to the appropriate child protective services/law enforcement agency as mandated by state law and Board of Education policy.
- Promote good public relations by personal appearance, attitude and conversation.
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s policy on Ohio Principal Evaluation System.
*This job description identifies primary expectations and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and activities. This job description is subject to change in response to student demographics, staffing factors, funding variables, modified operating procedures, program/curriculum changes as directed by the Superintendent of Marion City Schools.
The principal shall have a valid license and have completed the required evaluator training (OTES/OPES) for the position of principal. The principal must be of good character and integrity. The principal shall have the experience and skills to work effectively with the staff, district leadership team, students, parents, and community.
- A master’s degree or higher, with a major in educational administration.
- A valid state certificate to serve as a school principal.
- Experience in public school administration and supervision.
- Successful experience as a classroom teacher.
- Such alternates to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable.
Wage or Salary: Commensurate with experience Approximate Work Hours or Days: 215 Days
How to Apply:
How to Apply: External
If you are interested in being considered for this position, you must apply online at www.marioncityschools.org prior to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 6, 2022. Follow links: District/Work at Marion City/Apply at Marion City Schools/Apply Now for External Teaching and Administrative Positions at MCS/Administration/Select Position/Apply JobID#16877/Login to existing account. If you do not have an existing account you will be asked to create one. If you have any questions please contact Jen Lawson, Assistant Superintendent, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 740-223-4401.
Posting End Date: 2022-05-06